Monday, September 18, 2006

Overheard

Mrs. Banerjee has recently returned to Calcutta after having spent a few months visiting her kids and grandkids who live in America. Her son who is an engineer is married with two kids and live in San Francisco. Her daughter who's been married a little over an year lives in New Jersey. On returning home Mrs Banerjee was asked by her friend and next door neighbor,

"So Didi, how did you like it there? How is Tukun? Is she liking her new life in the US? How is your new jamai*?"

"Oh Tukun is doing very well. Her husband Jayanto is such a nice boy. He does everything he can to help around the house . From groceries to cooking to doing the dishes and cleaning the house. He is so good with his hands. And he also takes her out every evening. Either to the Mall or for ice cream or a movie. Tukun just loves it over there. She lives like a queen. And why not? She deserves every bit of it. She is such a sweet kid. I couldn't be happier for her. Although her in laws are not very nice people. They are always asking Jayanto to send them money. And Jayanto's mother tries to make Tukun's life miserable. But Jayanto is an absolute gentleman and takes such good care of my daughter. "

"And what about your son? How is he doing? The kids must be growing up real fast!"

"Yeah, the kids are growing up and I miss them already. But my stay with them was such a miserable one I don't think I will go visit them the next time I go to America."

"Why is that Didi? What happened?"

"Oh don't even get me started on that. My daughter-in-law Rima is such a nasty person. She did not like my staying with them. She makes my Bubai work like a horse. She makes him do all the housework. As if Bubai didn't have enough things to take care of. He works so hard in his office all day. Then she makes him cook and clean and take care of the kids in the evening while she sits and watches TV. Such an irresponsible and scheming girl. Had I known I wouldn't have appoved the alliance in the first place. She will talk to her mother on the phone everyday and plot new ways to make Bubai miserable. She cannot cook at all. My son has lost so much weight. How can he stay well and work so hard if he doesn't get a nice homecooked meal? She comes home from work and orders take out. If you ask me she should stay at home and learn how to cook some rice and daal! And then she is so strict with the kids. I cannot even give them chocolate and sweets without her jumping down my throat and saying nasty things about making her children "hyper". I am sure she even takes them behind closed doors and hits them. Bubai is so scared of her that he cannot say anything. Who would have known that such a quiet and shy girl would transform into a shrew in seven years! I feel so sorry for Bubai who has to put up with her. And also with her mother. Did you know her mother is going to visit them end of this year? And that too for 4 whole months! Some people are so insensitive!"


* jamai: son-in-law

Labels:

38 Comments:

Blogger Sagnik Nandy said...

arre i have been hearing these conversation since childhood. it appears all the mon-in-laws have sons who come "first" and their DILs are gold diggers who are always plotting evil schemes. to me it always sounded like a comic book story - the return of the Menacing MIL.

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROFL ! Too good.

Human experiences are all about perspective.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Cee Kay said...

Touched a nerve there for some reason. And you did it with a classic touch - I love it! Isn't every bit of it true? And applies to almost EVERYONE? :D

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha

'some people are so insensitive' - ahaha!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Szerelem said...

ahahahaha.....too funny!!!!
i think most of us "overhear" stuff like this...its so ridiculous!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Dadoji said...

We have a saying in marathi that rougly translates to "mine is a darling, yours is a brat". And then we have the classic saas-bahu thingy. *rolleyes*

12:21 AM  
Blogger Point 5 said...

Is this fiction ?

1:44 AM  
Blogger Rimi said...

I've heard variations on this theme several times too. Incredibly smart of you to put it down in writing :D

Maane, ki bolbo. Point 5, I ASSURE you, this isn't fiction!

3:04 AM  
Blogger P said...

Lol!! Interesting!

3:19 AM  
Blogger Aparna said...

Hey wasn't this circulated around as a mail fwd... of course minus the proper names?

4:37 AM  
Blogger Chilla-Bong said...

Hahaha....fell down laughing.So true how much our percepetion changes with which side we stand with.But knowing all the married ones amongs my pals, these guys-n-girls must've a helluva time balancing between the two sides. As one enlightened one told me "The problem is never between the two of us, it's always with the third person plural numbers" :)

5:32 AM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

@ sagnik its all about your point of view. Which side you are on. And yes it is amusing.
@ bongopondit oh yeah for sure.
@ gettingthere does it have anything to do with the in laws visiting you? :))
@ deepali :)
@ szerelem of course it is ridiculous. That's what makes it so funny.
@ dadoji that is classic human nature.
@ point 5 no way. Wait till you tie the knot :))
@ rimi hee hee. And you know what I can also see where it is coming from :)
@ perspective inc. :)
@ the smiling girl thanks for stopping by and do come back again.
@ aparna really? I have no idea. This was picked off a real conversation that my Mom was privy to in Calcutta after someone she knew was heard gossipping. I changed the names of course because I know the people in question. And the content was taken from the real conversation. I just added some spice and color. May be someone else had the bright idea of writing it up and sending it off as a mail. Who knows?
@ chilla-bong balancing? It's a proper juggling act when you have multiple balls up in the air and you are standing on one foot. On a tight rope. Over a steep cliff. That's what it is :)
@ karmicjay yes it is :)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Kausum said...

Are you sure this is real? Looks like a drama out of a Hindi movie or Ekta Kapoor's TV shows!

10:11 AM  
Blogger jhantu said...

Whats the moral of the story:
"Its a girl's world sweetheart ;-)"

btw I tagged you, try and do the tag if u run out of post ideas

11:20 AM  
Blogger Joyful Heart! said...

:)) :)) :))

12:04 PM  
Blogger Dreamcatcher said...

Said the pot to the kettle, 'hello iam black'

1:32 PM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

@ kausum of course it is drama. That is what life is all about. People bitch and life goes on.
@ jhantu if you would have deigned to read below you would have known I'd refrain from being tagged. So ha ha!
@ pearl hey how are you? Haven't seen you around in a while.
@ dreamcatcher indeed :))

3:48 PM  
Blogger qsg said...

Very funny, indeed. Not experienced it first hand, but have definitely seen it and heard it - it's all about which side you are on! :D

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe. Damn hillarious.
And have experienced it first hand. Very typical! =)

9:08 AM  
Blogger Cee Kay said...

No, couldn't say this happened to me. But I have experienced the "my-boy-is-better-than-five-of-you-put-together" syndrome. And have had a first-hand bitter experience of "my-poor-boy-has-to-do-everything" syndrome. Thankfully both "syndromes" have been cured and there is no sign of them anymore - except in my memories.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Cee Kay said...

Oh, and the chocolate incident did happen to me - more than once. But, as I said, everything is fine and dandy now - mainly because my husband and I presented a united front to all of this... Oh! I could write a book about these experiences - but it won't be very unique, will it? :P

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Double standards....tsk tsk tsk. I dread the future!

11:29 AM  
Blogger twip said...

Hullo!

Im still alive(and I posted to prove my alive-ness, hee) and thanks for asking!

Now onto the post.

This is so common amongst desi uncles and aunties of any background. I love this post.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Ratna said...

:))

10:44 PM  
Blogger Bonatellis said...

ahahahhahaaa ... u can guess why I am laughing, can't you ;-)

and the poor son gets sandwiched between the mom and the wife :)

12:26 AM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

@ qsg thanks :)
@ medha I'm sorry you had to experience it first hand, but take comfort from the fact that it happens to most everyone.
@ getting there :)) well even if wasn't unique I'm sure you'd have a lot of readers identifying and loving your book. And good for both of you for getting through it all.
@ dulhita don't. take it as it comes :)
@ megha you're alive!! you're alive!!
@ ratna :)
@ bonatellis well "poor son" can be a little objective and point the women in his life in the right direction.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

Kyunki Saas bhi kabhi doting mummy thi............ :)

5:31 PM  
Blogger Ron said...

Hahaha!! Loved this post. All a matter of perspective isnt it?

2:14 AM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

@ rohan this wasn't a cry out against the saas in general. But just how the human mind works and how we look at things from our point of view :)
@ ron absolutely.

9:34 AM  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

:-)

I don't think this is about perspective but, as the lady said herself, it's about insensitivity. And, about complete lack of objectivity. Poor Mrs Banerjee! If her son could control his wife like her daughter does her husband, the world would be perfect!! :-)

9:49 AM  
Blogger Priya said...

M, you evil, you;) Moral of the story: Too much talking to me is injurious to your mind. hahaha. Rimi will vouch for it. :D

4:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

simple but hilarious! yeah yeah perspective, duality of reality, relativism blah blah...but in the end laugh oud loud everybody! :P

11:55 AM  
Blogger Rohini said...

No matter how evolved, every mother wants her son to marry the woman she hopes her daughter will never become...

12:53 PM  
Blogger ubergeek said...

LOL! Did u really overhear this!!! I can't believe this sort of hypocrisy can be for real

5:11 AM  
Blogger Aparna said...

Doesn't matter if I read it before, this was more colourful...and better written :)

6:00 AM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

@ ghostoftomjoad :) absolutely.
@ priya ei jonno I've been trying to keep away from you ;)
@ ss I'm glad we can all see the funny side of it.
@ rohini but do the moms actually realize how crazy her standards are?
@ ubergeek it's for real. i didn't but my mom did :)
@ aparna thanks!

10:39 AM  
Blogger Chilla-Bong said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Shuv said...

hilarious!

3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home