Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Teacher's Day

The date on my computer tells me that today is September 5.

Many, many years back September 5 used to have this entirely different meaning for me. Me and countless other kids who went to school in India. It was Teacher's Day. A day set aside every year to celebrate the people who taught us everyday, who tolerated our silly antics, who led us down paths of discipline, quenched the thirst for knowledge and brought order into our lives. Yet the most enjoyable part of the entire Teacher's day routine was the fact that there were no classes that day. It was a break for the teachers. And it was a break for us. And that meant we would have a day filled with fun activities. Well we'd be allowed to go to school in our "party clothes". And we would have all these song-dance-drama routines for entertaining the teachers. And we'd have misty eyed teachers. Even the strictest and grimmest of all the teachers (Mrs A and Ms S) would smile and forget to punish us for talking during assembly.

And today I cannot help but smile when I remember those days back in school. And I'd like to thank all my teachers who've helped me become the person I am today.

SC for teaching me to love the language, embrace and truly understand Shakespeare, for coming back unharmed after the car accident and loving me like no other.
RDG for being one of the nicest teachers ever and for making me want to be more like you. A person that everyone loved.
SB for some of the funniest moments that still provide so much amusement when we talk about you and Bangla class.
MB for making me fall in love with painting. All over again.
V for making me think that Life Science was the most fascinating subject on earth. I wouldn't have gone that path if weren't for you and the way you taught the subject.
Sr. J I may have been a completely different person had you not instilled all those moral science lessons in us.
R for teaching me Math and getting me to love it.
M I have always given you the most credit for my getting through JEE and into Medicine. And you are the only teacher from my plus two years I care to remember and thank.
PKS for making Anatomy classes the most enjoyable ever. For mneumonics and snippets that made the hardest things come alive for us.
AKS for making me want to go into ENT. Almost.
DKB I wouldn't have learnt Surgery if it weren't for you and your early morning class at 7.
PGO for being my guide and advisor and seeing me through unchartered waters.

And there are countless others. People who have held my hand, people who have taught, trained and guided me. To everyone who has held a light for me and helped me find my way,

Happy Teachers Day!

May you continue to teach, guide and change lives.
Shape lives.
As you have shaped mine.

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I "almost" forgot! :0..well i remembered last night but there wasn't really the consciousness at all..of it being teacher's day. :(
thanks for the reminder. :)

1:37 PM  
Blogger GhostOfTomJoad said...

Well, we can tell, you were one happy student, loved by her teachers :-) No such luck here...no I wasn't hated by the teachers but, just my luck had a real lousy, disinterested bunch all through. One of them is now the most celebrated of all teachers in the country. My cricket coach, however, was good - he got me my first pair of cricket shoes, my first real bat. He was a real good guy.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Trevor Penn said...

you had a thirst for knowledge as a kid ??? I think i was force fed knowledge and i'm grateful for that... hehehe... all i cared about was how many goals i scored, how many runs i scored or how many TT matches i remained unbeaten...

I enjoyed teachers' day more in my senior classes because i got to be the stand in for a specific teacher at school. Plus, we had lots of sporting events (senior classes vs teachers) and many a times it was time for vengence... I sound so ungrateful i know, but i do have a ton of teachers to thank for loads of reasons.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Brown Magic said...

for our teacher's day - the 12th students got to be teachers and "teach" the classes to everyone else. was good fun for students, dont know about the teachers though.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Kausum said...

In our school all the 10th std guys, used to get chance to be teachers, peons and administrative guys too. It used to be fun.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Jinguchakka said...

And it was all because of President Dr.S.Radhakrishnan's birthday!!
Anyway, none of your good fortune for me.

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about IB for those endless sessions trying to teach arches, cartwheels and ashanas, SB Sir for those dance steps that were so amusing and AL for even teaching novices like me the notes to sing - they were there too even if nobody cared a damn. What makes me think that I always identify so much with what you say and write is because of the tree that bred us both - almost the same thoughts, same nostalgic memories deep down memory lane. I can't help too but pay a tribute to those lovely days of my life and the people who helped me to shape my entire being. I cannot owe you enough....

7:26 PM  
Blogger Tabula Rasa said...

yes, teacher's day was all about getting to be a teacher. the school assembly the week before, when the list of who-gets-what was announced, was definitely the most enjoyable one every year!

9:18 PM  
Blogger Rohini said...

Similar experience - we got to be the teachers when were the seniors and we used to dress up in saris and 'take class' for the juniors. It was good fun.

Thanks to my parents' transferable jobs, I never spent more than 3 years in any school - so I never got to know the teachers and they never got to know me either.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

very nice post, i must say, and a moving one too. i liked the last 2 lines most, u know! first-timer on ur space. liked ur write-ups. and fed urs in my feedreader. keep writing.

6:21 AM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

@ the_girl_from_ipanema you're most welcome!
@ ghostoftomjoad well you like some and you don't like the others. I just remember a few of the thousands who have taught me and that says I did not like or care much about the rest :)esp the ones in my plus two years.
@ seashells :) I still thirst for knowledge :)The eternal quest. And no you are not ungrateful. Sometimes the deepest feelings are best left unspoken.
@ brown magic I guess it is always more fun for the students because there aren't any proper classes and there are so many different activities.
@ kausum peons??? Was it just training people for the future? :))
@ jinguchakka well I've heard many many people remember their school days with far less affection than I do and I don't blame you. We have all kinds of teachers :)
@ oliveoyl now you've got me very very curious. You've got the breeding tree right :))Who are you? Of course I remember IB, SB and AL :)) SB? I didn't even know his last name was B. We always called him Shanky! You got me smiling now as I remember all those funny incidents.
@ tabula rasa some of us smile when we remember and some are glad it is over. Wish we had more teachers who would make people remember school with fondness.
@ rohini changing cities and schools can be very unsettling. I'm so glad for the firm base I had and having the chance to spend years and years in the same institution.
@ vuttaa thanks for visiting my blog. Do keep coming back.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Kausum said...

I guess they trained us to know that no work was low enough!

4:50 PM  
Blogger That Girl said...

oh godddd.. i so hated teachers day....coz all the nitwit teachers that we all hated would get smiles and congratulations and told how GREAT they were etc etc.... it was so fake!!

But reading wheer you mention the teachers you loved....i did like some of my teachers( who WERE great at teaching and inspiring) and we hung out a lot...sometimes after school theyd call a few of us to their homes to have lunch or tea.or to further discuss things that were taigh tin class..or in the weekends we'd watch movies at their place....THAT i loved...

its 2006 and now i chat with them over msn..lol. A fe of them came to my wedding as well.. in calcutta...was so good to see them!... and my University Fine Art teacher!!

i love teachers who get down to our level and walk through knowledge WITH us.

12:19 AM  
Blogger That Girl said...

my typoism will be the death of me.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Ratna said...

Ahh those days.. I wish if we could rewind days:)

2:35 AM  
Blogger P said...

well written..brought up some long forgotten memories of those good ol' school days!

4:18 AM  
Blogger P said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:18 AM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

@ kausum absolutely. And I'm glad.
@ grafxgurl well you like some and you hate some. We live with the happy memories and discard the not so nice ones. Good to see you're still in touch with your teachers. I have completely lost contact with everyone.
@ ratna :)) Rewind may be but will be hard to relive them except in our mind.
@ perspective inc. thanks!

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY TEACHERS DAY TO ALL THE TEACHERS WHO SEE THIS:}

5:31 AM  
Anonymous B. Sawhney said...

As is said, 'A teacher affects eternity...never to say where the influence stops...'
...true to every word...its not only the lessons that were taught, but the values that silently got embedded in my personality, and helped me whatever i am today....

4:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home