Friday, January 06, 2006

To clean or not to

I believe that I'm turning into a clean-freak. It is something that I've been noticing in myself lately. Everything around me has to be spotless, organized and clean. Last week with my house brimming with family I was constantly cleaning up after people......I ran the laundry every single day.....I cleaned and vacuumed and tidied up given half a chance. And trust me with little kids running around and throwing food everywhere it was not easy. You see lately we've have been keeping the house spotless and to see rice strewn across the dining room rug or spilled curry on the table cloth or coffee stains on the kitchen counter or toys laid out strategically at the bottom of the stairs is well....disturbing. My counter tops have to be gleaming, spotless......my floors clean and sparkling.....my rugs smelling fresh and clean.....everything needs to be in the right place or else we call it "clutter". You get my point, right? I know what you are thinking and trust me, I am thinking the exact same thing. This reaction is not normal. Some folks may call it OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) but honestly it's not that bad. Yet.

And I blame it all on B because he is the one who started it and considering the kind of influence he has on me this freaky cleanliness is creeping onto me quite steadily. You see, I was so unlike this. When I was living with my parents my room was the only eye-sore in the entire house. My parents are both neat and clean people. They believe in keeping the house spotless too. Both of them. Usually the women in the house are the ones who are tidying up and keeping things clean. But in our house even my Dad would do his share. He would clean up after he used the bathroom, wipe off all the water from the faucet after his morning shower to prevent water marks and stains. I used to complain that our house did not feel like a home because it was too clean, too nice, more like a model home. It did not have a lived-in look or feel to it. In contrast my room had books all over the place, clothes hanging across the back of my chair, stuff everywhere. That was me. And that is what made me comfortable.

And now, this is me. The very same person who enjoyed disorder and chaos to give a place the lived-in feel. Now she freaks out when things are not in order. I can't believe this is happening to me. OCD? Nooooooo. I don't wash my hands compulsively. I don't check the lock on the door a million times each night. I'm still normal, right?

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Brown Magic said...

HaHa, I so get where you are coming from. I am the same way - from besing messy to being a complete neat freak . Lord knows why, but I dont sleep well in a messy room.

FYI - deleting current blog and will be starting a new one in a week- let me know if you'd like the URL.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Rimi said...

love, you're COMPLETELY normal. i'm a thoroughly selfish hygiene freak. i clean up pointedly only after indisciplined, loud people and children, just to drive the message home *evil smile*

otherwise my room's just like your's used to be :D

12:09 PM  
Blogger Bengali Guy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Bengali Guy said...

I dont think you are doing enough.

If you want to be clean, become the best that you can.

Here is Cleanliness 101

2:04 PM  
Blogger Acroyali said...

you're perfectly normal. theres nothing wrong in wanting to keep things clean. you're definitely not overboard.

12:08 AM  
Blogger Wanderlust said...

hey chill!..that's very much the trait of most virgos... me being one like that too...oh!you should have seen how obssessed i would be on sundays cleaning the whole house till i found it spotless...i spent whole morning doing so...my dad too being a cleanliness freak assissted me in that...infact sonia,my closest p.g mate would actually ask me to give her a missed call before i stepped into her room coz she noticed how i would be so unsettled if i found things laying around and end up cleaning her room,which i guess was sometimes embarassing for her(though not intended to)...infact i do this still whenever I go to W's house...his room is full of stuff which may be lying useless for days and he leaves it that way till i go to his house on weekends and clean his room till i think its spik n span...oh he seems to love me doing that for him...and even now request me to do it quite shamelessly(doesn't matter to me coz for me as you say a dirty room is an eye sore)....and trust me its very normal to clean your room,its great!...keep it up!

2:46 AM  
Blogger Dipanjan Das said...

arrey, you are normal. as least till now :D. let's see where this shuchibai thing goes.

3:42 AM  
Blogger Krishanu said...

well it's kind of a natural progression. now that you are running your household it's natural to want it to be spick and span! just like your parents when you lived with them!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Priya said...

Welcome back, to what should be a very happpy new year for u and family, almost normal lady. For once, I can't identify with yr post:(, I mean partly. I've always been this disorganised, but happily so, single child, with a dad so like yrs and a Ma, well, moderately clean;).And Baba used to always tell me, "Make sure you find a husband who'll keep your things in order." And I'd shudder at the thought, coz that meant, the guy would be a neat and tidy and organised sort. As luck would hav it, I found this clean-freak of a husband and despite all the influence he has on me, this is a sin I'm totally irredeemable from. Happily so...love the chaos, feels more lived in than living.

3:51 AM  
Blogger Ron said...

I am extremely messy and untidy normally, but the moment my mother goes out of town and Im responsible for the house I turn into a total OCD type neat freak. Very Monica Gellar ish in fact :(

4:19 AM  
Blogger Bonatellis said...

errr, if u are like this at your age, what will u do when u grow old ;) he he!!

5:49 AM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

@ brown magic I do want the new URL. Let me know.
@ rimi thanks for saying that. Sometimes I start to wonder :)
@ bengali guy thanks for visiting and yes that link was funny. I'd hate to have an inspector come in and tell me that this isn't enough.
@ biplab hey where've you been? happy new year to you too!
@ acroyali you're sweeto to say so. Thanks!
@ ashmi gosh am I glad to see there are many more like me :) I am sure it's the Virgo in us.
@ dd please shuchibai bolo na :) It's just that I hate seeing morsels of food lying around on the floor and the rugs. And don't get me started on the bathrooms and the way people use the toilet!
@ krishanu thank you thank you. I think I am turning into my parents even though I tried so hard not too :))
@ priya someone has to clean up and inspite of my innate chaotic and messy nature keeping house recently has turned into a clean up operation. happy new year to you too!
@ ron I hope I'm not turning Monica-ish because she is a complete freak. Maybe it's just a phase.
@ bonatellis now you're scaring me. First you talk about this creepy nature of mine and then you start on my age. Two things I try not to think of :)

10:09 AM  
Blogger Krishanu said...

hey chill!..that's very much the trait of most virgos... me being one like that too...

ashmi: then i sure as hell am the slobbiest virgo on earth. if only i could send you a picture of my shelf during my exams (incidentally going on right now).

10:57 AM  
Blogger Wanderlust said...

i agree with you n am glad too
:-D...it will be great to have you not just a blog friend, so if you feel we have somthing in common do let me know your email id at my blog...till then take care :-)

1:50 AM  
Blogger Wanderlust said...

HI krishanu,
first of all "all the best for your exams"...and then don't you worry about your shelf coz frankly speaking even i used to struggle hard to keep my desk clean during exams coz that was too much for me...as i used to suffer from exam phobia...so keeping the shelf or desk clen would be too much of botheration and so i left it the way it was,untidy,just not my kind...but the day my exam would end i would come back home and the first thing i would do is clean all the clutter...and i would be happy in no time :-D

2:07 AM  
Blogger the Monk said...

hmmm...maybe you'll end up marrying a sarcastic, cynical, slightly neurotic guy...damn, I've been watching way too much friends...

8:22 AM  
Blogger Krishanu said...

@ krishanu thank you thank you. I think I am turning into my parents even though I tried so hard not too...

not exactly what i had in mind, but...that is probably what i intended to say :P

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are absolutely normal, while a slightly messed up place gives that lived in feeling a clean place does give that "cared for" feeling.

I myself am very organized and believe that everything has a place and I sure dont think I am nuts ;-)

4:14 PM  
Blogger That Girl said...

it amazes me at how similar we both are!!

im such an untidy person too.. but you see once we have to face responsibilty.. we tend to buck upa dn go the complete opposite.. whos gonna do it if we dont! lol...

my fiance is kinda messy.. mostly clueless so now i have to keep it tidy for both of us.

2:47 AM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

@ krishanu and ashmi glad to see one virgo discovering another :)) Have fun!
@ the monk I think we've all watched too much Friends :)
@ true blue guy I loved the way you put it...."cared for feel". Thanks!!!
@ grafxgurl someone has to take responsibility and take care of things, right?

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home