Monday, August 08, 2005

A rainy afternoon

There is something about the rain that casts a magical spell on me. I think there is something profoundly romantic about the grey overcast sky through which the sun is trying to break through, creating a strange kind of light that plays on the grass, the trees, everything around.....the showers that drench the leaves on the trees and magically turn everything a bright green....the sound of the wind through the trees, the rain splashing on my door, my windows, the pitter patter on the roof.....the smell of the earth, fresh and clean.....it's nature's way of washing and making everything fresh and whole again.

It has rained intermittently almost the entire day and I know for a fact it is going to make the evening rush hour traffic even worse. The rain always slows things up on the freeway. And people returning home from work will be cross and irritable, poked by umbrellas, sloshed in puddles, hungry and late. But I have the priviledge of sitting at home this afternoon and not have to worry about getting home in the traffic or the rain and therefore can indulge myself a little to admire the rain for what it is doing to the greenery that stares at me through the window. The sky is still overcast, the shower has ceased for a bit, there are birds on the trees that are shaking the water out of their wings and trying to get dry and everything looks so green and beautiful.

I have a million Rabindrasangeets racing through my mind and I find myself humming the tune of one. I have a whole lot of work to do, yet, there is something in the air that makes me want to sing or paint or simply sit near the window and take time to actually see how wonderful things are. I've missed the rain the last six years living in the midwest. It never rained like it used to rain in Calcutta. But Virginia is different. It rains. Just like the way it used to in Calcutta. I love it when it rains here.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Point 5 said...

yup ..rain is always fun when u r sitting at home.....it becomes a pain only when u need to go somewhere

10:26 PM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

I dont know there's something abt the rain that makes me just want to walk out there and just stand in it for hours at a stretch, guess its the lil child in me that just refuses to grow up:), Here's my take on the rain which I posted a while back http://whoisane.blogspot.com/2005/06/story.html

10:59 PM  
Blogger Rimi said...

m, you missed the rains for six whole years?! you are a resilient soul, lady! *mock salute* i would have died. the rains keep me going...

and satchisgod--i agree about the jhargram bit, we had a house there and the monsoons are lovely, and i understand abt the cbs and college street route, but c'mon man! nothings all bad! may be, if you have the time, you could visit this?

http://acceptpleaseaccept.blogspot.
com/2005/07/bishti-pore-tapur-tupur
.html

11:08 PM  
Blogger Sagnik Nandy said...

talking abt rabindra angeet for occasions i had a friend who used to annoy us by singing "alo amar alo" during powercuts :)

4:18 AM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

@ satchisgod rains in calcutta were great for me. Yes even with water logging and stuff. You need to go beyond the muck and the slosh. Try and take a breather when the rains come pouring down, just stand there and watch it, get wet, please do get wet and take refuge in a cha stall and drink hot tea with pakora, better still if you have someone special to share the moment with :)

@ point 5 agreed it is more fun to enjoy from the comfort of home.

@ rohan I love getting wet in the rain....it's so much fun. And thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

@ rimi I did miss the rain for the lst few years. I was in Chicago where it rained but not the kind of torrential showers I was used to. And before that I was in a small town for one whole year and it never ever rained! The rains really rejuvenate my soul.

@ sagnik I think the monsoons are beautiful in Santiniketan and Rabindranath did justice to the season by penning hundreds and hundreds of borshar gaan. To be honest I think he wrote songs for any occasion....incl power cuts :))

7:37 AM  
Blogger That Girl said...

Sigh....you really miss Cal dont you ... i do too...as much as i like Chennai... its simplicity.. something which i have grown to love... Cal will always be first.

you write with your whole heart in your words...something that i cherish in people..

9:08 AM  
Blogger Ratna said...

So, there is life outside still going on:-) It is refreshing to witness the rain through your eyes (blog) amidst of my chaos:)

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home