Friday, August 05, 2005

Crushed

My first crush was when I was 12 years old. It was not the love at first sight kind, but something that crept up behind me and hit me hard one day. And it was the unrequitted, unattainable kind. The guy was tall and handsome and didn't know I existed. He was Imran Khan, the captain of the Pakistan cricket team! During his heyday in the late 80s Imran was the heartthrob of many a girl. I knew I "loved" him and I knew everything there was to know about him. I knew his birthday, where he lived in Lahore, what his likes and dislikes were, who his favorite actress was, who he was sleeping around with....I lived, ate, slept Imran Khan. I would make my dad take us to dinner at the Oberoi Grand when the Pakistan team was in Calcutta playing a one day match, with the hope of catching a glimpse of my hero in the lobby. I even went to watch a highly charged one-day match between India and Pakistan at the Eden gardens a day before my Final exams in school, just to watch Imran play and made myself hoarse screaming with glee every sixer that he dealt out, much to the irk of all the other Indian supporters around me. I had Imran posters all over my bedroom, not on the walls because that was a strict no-no in my house, but all over my cupboards and doors. The crush lasted for a few years. I think it started tapering off right when Imran married Jemima. I haven't had a crush on any other cricket player since.

But having crushes on celebrities is a normal part of growing up. I've been through the Maradona phase, the John Mc Enroe phase, the Tom Cruise phase and the Agassi phase. The Agassi phase I think, lasted the longest. I think I still had some of my Agassi posters clinging onto my door half torn and faded with time, when I started seeing B, who I ended up marrying! It makes me laugh to think about the crazy things I did or thought of doing each time I had these crushes and right now I don't even know what I saw in any of those guys. Tom Cruise makes me want to puke right now. But (sigh) I guess it was one of those crazy teenage things, something to do with surges of hormones I believe. You fall in love with anything because you are more in love with the concept of being in love. I even had a crush on a guy because he was wearing a T-shirt that was a color which happened to be my favorite at that particular time. Or may be it became my favorite color because he was wearing it and I had the crush first....wait, now I am confused....I don't remember which happened first. It was so long back. And it doesn't matter because it was just that, a crush, that lasted may be a milli-second in the span of my life. But these moments live on in your heart as sweet memories which can make you smile even on an otherwise ordinary, dismal morning.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Point 5 said...

..yeah, I think these crushes exist only when u r really young..as soon as u grow a lil old, like into ur teens, reality hits u real hard.....

10:19 AM  
Blogger That Girl said...

sigh.. am still in love with Mel Gibson....wonder when THAT will let go ...
had a huge crush on Sean Connery...
i have this thing for Older men.... i dont know why.. istil do...

if i marry it would be someone who is atleast 6 yrs older than me.... ooo..!! and i LOVE men who age gracefully.. theyre SO HOT!!

err.. CANT stand Tom cruise.. nevere liked him .. and never will. am not into the whole ...stud boy look.

10:30 AM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

@ point 5 my crushes were thru my teens, reality did not graze me until I was kind of old(er)!

@ grafxgurl don't ask me why I had a crush on Tom Cruise. Beats me! As for older men I adore grey hair and maturity now. Like George Clooney :)

10:39 AM  
Blogger totti said...

I wonder when point 5 started having his crushes if reality hit him hard in teens :)

I have had my share of crushes: celebrity and otherwise! It is a wonderful feeling, as long it lasts.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Rohan Kumar said...

Gosh i will have to pic my T's more carefully in the near future :)

12:48 PM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

@ karthik lol

@ rohan see I just gave you a vital piece of information :))

@ satchisgod everyone has crushes...and for the most part it is hard to explain why you had them in the first place. But it is always amusing to think back and reflect on them when you grow out of them.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Sagnik Nandy said...

i'm not a very crushy kind of person. still my celebrity crushes included the "oh so gorgeous" Kajol (the only poster I ever had) and an on-and-off crush on this firl called Tulip Joshi

2:25 PM  
Blogger Mint Chutney said...

I used to have a crush on the boy who sat directly in front of me during trig class (grade 10). He was dumb as a box of rocks but he smelled so good. *sigh*

11:50 PM  
Blogger Rimi said...

men who smell good definitely have a edge--they're so hard to find! okay, my bit--not a single crush in all my almost-21 years. isn't that despeartely sad? but true. waaa!
(footnote: but yes, men who age gracefully are SOOO hot!!!)

4:04 AM  
Blogger nothing said...

@ grafx
*letting out a collective sigh on behalf of all younger men*
@ sagnik-da (muahahaha)
Don't stray within a hundred square miles of Tulip Joshi, on pain of very non-random, painful vodoo magic descending on your confused mind.

11:34 AM  
Blogger jaded said...

seriously, tom cruise is way too pathetic...i also had a crush on andre agassi and currently am in love with pierce brosnan(drooling sigh..)
and the best thing is that i am still a teenager so quite legal to have crushes ;-)

12:43 AM  
Blogger That Girl said...

LOl@arka... whyre you sighing pray tell!?!..*runs away very fast*

1:14 AM  
Blogger nothing said...

grafx,
At this rate, you might consider gearing up for the Olympics :D

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home